Sunday, December 20, 2009

Ubehebe Crater



Ubehebe (You-bee-HEE-bee) Crater is a 770-foot geological wonder caused by an underground steam explosion over 3,000 years ago.  It is located just 8 miles west of Scotty's Castle.




The hike down the crater is difficult as the trail is made up of gritty sand.  You softly slide your way down and sink into the sand as you go.  I was so excited to get to the bottom of the crater that I wasn't paying attention to how difficult the climb back up was going to be!  I'm not as cardiovascularly fit as Kevin (big surprise), so it was a challenge, but I made it.










To give you perspective on how far down the crater is, I am in the middle of the photo at the very bottom.  The colored striations in the rocks were very beautiful.




As late afternoon approached, the colors of the rocky hills became more vivid.  The sky appeared bluer in contrast to the brown landscape.  Dusk is very beautiful in the desert!






No comments:

Post a Comment