Sunday, February 28, 2010

Valentine's Weekend on the Coast


















Kevin and I both had three days off for President's Weekend.  He was still at the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) in Monterey, so we decided I would go down there.  Since we had gotten the new motorhome, I had only driven it around the block.  I was a little nervous, but the dogs and I drove down to Monterey on Friday 2/12/10.  It actually went very well.  The directions were easy, Ingonish didn't throw up, and the RV handled better than I expected.  I met up with Kevin at a campground at Laguna Seca.  The campsites overlook a large racetrack.  I'm not sure if there was a race that weekend, but plenty of cars were enjoying a casual 100 mph drive around the track.  When Kevin and I linked up, the dogs practically jumped over me in my seat to get to him.  I got a dozen red roses, and Kevin got his driver's seat back in the RV.  It was win-win.  What a great start to Valentine's weekend!


Saturday, we had a nice breakfast in the city of Monterey at Black Bear Diner.  They are a chain of diners on the west coast that have excellent food and customer service.  We went to one in Oregon previously, and this one didn't disappoint. 






During the afternoon, we (Kevin) took the dogs for a walk near the wharf in Monterey.  It was an absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous weekend.  It's so strange to not have snow in the winter, but we'll take it while we're here.  Vendors were set up in the common area near the wharf.  Later on, we walked the Recreation Trail along the water to get our favorite Ghirardelli sundaes.  It was a little tougher walking back with all that ice cream on board.











The view from our table at Ghirardelli

After a well-deserved nap, we had dinner at one of our favorite Italian restaurants on the wharf, Isabella's.  Kevin needed to get a few things from his room at NPS.  So before heading back to our campsite, we took a little tour around the school grounds.  It was a beautiful campus, even at night.  Not a bad gig if you were going to be living there for a period of time.  Because the weather there is so mild, you would occasionally see raccoons walking around looking for scraps from dinner.  This little guy was very curious about us and stood on his hind legs to get a better view.  I'm sure he was hoping for a late night snack!

















No comments:

Post a Comment